Sunday, October 16, 2011

Memoir Photo 4 - Bookworm



So, I used to be a really avid reader. It's only been recently that I've stopped reading, simply because I don't have enough time anymore, and the free time I do have I want to spend sleeping.

But when I was small, I raised myself on books. I taught myself to read (more or less) before preschool, and when my little brother was born and I was six years old, I remember reading a chapter book (Harry Potter?) in the car on the way to the hospital. The extensive vocabulary and voice I was exposed to via fiction made me an astonishingly precocious child.

My reading habits also meant I was never bored, ever. I could entertain myself for hours on end turning pages. My dad used to get mad at me when we went out to eat at restaurants and all he'd see was the cover of my book in front of my face. He'd tell me I'd never know what my husband looked like because on all our dates I'd be blocking my view with a book.

The library was a huge part of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment